Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Ruby Mountains

A few months back, we were talking about our Epic Ronsman Roadtrip with our friend Ben, and he mentioned that if we were anywhere near them, we should stop at the Ruby Mountains. Ben has traveled quite a bit out west, so the fact that this was the place he suggested stopping said a lot, so I took note. 

As we were driving across the Great Basin in Nevada towards Lake Tahoe, I was riding shotgun and studying Nevada in our atlas. I love maps and learning about new places (googling small towns and cities as we drive through them), so I often do this. As I followed I-80 west with my finger, there they were--the Ruby Mountains! These pretty little gems seem to appear out of no where in the  middle of the high desert plains. Dave and I decided to take a little detour and went for a hike. These mountains et the most snow of any range in Nevada. Actually, we found out from a local that just the previous week, the road was inaccessible due to snow cover. We actually had to cut our hike short because we ran into so much snow. 

The Rubies were breathtaking and these photos are nothing compared to how beautiful they are in reality. It was well worth the stop!










No comments:

Post a Comment