Sunday, June 8, 2014

The makings of a camper van


Hello friends, Dave here. Anyone who has been around me for the past few months has most likely had to listen to my newest plans of renovating the van.  As Meg said, I can get a bit obsessed with things, and with nursing school I really needed a nice diversion to get away from tests and clinicals.  The van obsession all started with this blog (http://thegroveguy.blogspot.com/2011/06/toyota-sienna-van-conversion.html) where a guy pimped out his minivan. His website has been somewhat of a guide to the minivan conversion world (I emailed him to get some more details--nice guy).  So, with the help of his pictures, I took up shop in my friends' primo garage (thanks Stines!).

And thanks to Richard Fox and John Haas for the help/tools.
First, I took out all of the seats, even the third row of stow-and-go seats which were tricky as they are spring loaded. This gave us the ability to have more storage in the back.  Then, I started with the frame where I used 2x2s.  The dimensions were roughly 6.5 feet long by 48 inches wide, with about 11 inch clearance in the front. Some tips: park van on level ground, leave enough room in the back for bins, in the front for any storage device you'd like to slide underneath, have an idea for any shelves and build that into the structure, and don't build it too high in case you want to make it into a foldable chair (see later pics). 
 
Here is the "bed layout" in the early stages.  After the frame was built, I cut and placed the plywood to make sure everything fit.  There were 3 main parts and one smaller one I used to attach to the frame.  The back hatch is attached to this secured part by hinges (seen in the pic).  You'll notice the front corner doesn't have a leg yet...


Folded into chair mode.


I made cushions out of a memory foam mattress (full size) that I cut into two pieces.  One for the front chair section and one for the back to go over "the hatch."  I put the shelves in to add a little space for all of the random stuff: water jug, bins with books etc. 


A table with leg that folds up and latches to the back of the table.  (cabinet latch- the same kind that is used to keep the front leg up when it's in chair mode.



Bed mode with retractable leg.  A boy who is obsessed with the van.



When in chair mode, the wooden blocks are place to give support, and piece of hardwood across the top to provide more support.


Back hatch is hinged to have easy access to store large bins.


A woman's touch.  Looking good Meg!


















9 comments:

  1. It's so good to see your posts! Will be watching for and reading about your latest, greatest adventures. Love the photos of the van conversion, your leap together, and nephew in the back of the van. Let's not forget the sheets. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, this is a wonderful post dear but I cannot do it myself and that is why I am also looking for a good campervan hire Australia services. That can help me to get a cab at a genuine cost for a long time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave,
    I recently purchased a 2006 Odyssey and want to convert it like you did, a la "Groveguy," so my husband and our old puppy dog can travel around together. Do you have any schematics or notes you could share to guide the way? As the devil is in the details, I'd like to do the conversion as efficiently and safely as possible. Thanks for sharing your experiences! Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    I love that you have done this and shared this- thanks!
    I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey. My wife is retired and I can travel.. So it would be the 2 of us traveling. We want to travel for about one year in the USA. We are in San Francisco, CA. I would love to do this. I would love to find someone locally to build this for me. Any ideas on how I would do this? Thanks Hal

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was an amazing trip! One of those 'once in a lifetime' trips.
    A great Blog post. Though I advise anyone to go out and experince it for themselves.
    campervan hire Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the Knowledge!
    I was looking for above mentioned Information.
    camper rental Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Love your sight. I'm building out a 2000 Sienna right now. Are yall still checking this blog? If so I'd love to learn more about the mattress you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I really enjoyed reading it and learned a lot. Keep up the excellent work! Thank you for sharing. If you are looking for the best van conversion company, then Tiny Topanga is a trustworthy and skilled custom van conversion builder. Our skilled construction team can assist you in designing the ideal vehicle conversion for your needs. To get started, contact us today.

    ReplyDelete